I think I can… the next Sunday Snippet
You’d be forgiven for thinking I was dead… well, maybe not dead but otherwise indisposed or kidnapped or taken by aliens or locked in the Red Room with Christian Grey (actually, that last one could be a maybe, yes please?!) because I’ve missed weeks #2 and #3 of the Sunday Snippet. But none of those things happened. Family and life and excuses happened, sure, but nothing notably exciting (and trust me when I’d say I’d let you all know if Christian Grey materialised… I might not share him because I’m a selfish bitch, but I’d let you know).
So, then I started thinking about what I wanted to write today… and I started scrolling through the photos from the last twelve months that I have on my phone. Well, I have a ridiculous number of photos on my phone (9000+!) but I decided to work with the last 12 months. I found this one from the beginning of the year and it got me wondering about New Year’s resolutions.
I didn’t make any resolutions this year – #2015 was tough with lots of family stuff, work stuff and then quitting and starting a new job. I didn’t want to make any promises or plans – even to myself – just in case something happened to derail everything again. But as I scrolled through the photos I started to realise I’d had a pretty big year… and thought I’d note some notables below:
- I met CHRISTINA LAUREN!
- There are lots of pics of good times with family and friends
- I saw The Sound of Music, college football in Sydney, and Ellie Goulding (loved her, she was so much better than I expected she’d be)
- I got tickets for ADELE in 2017! This was a recent achievement and I’m rightfully chuffed!
- There are a few sneaky photos of the hot electrician who came to fix some electrical thing under my desk
- I finished a six month write your novel course, plus went to Readers and Writers Downunder on the G0ld Coast and the RWA Conference – Ain’t Love Grand! – in Adelaide
- I hung out with some of the best writing peeps I know in courses and at conferences
- I got to see my footy team, the Mighty Cronulla Sharks win their maiden premiership #upupcronulla and my youngest nephew win his local footy comp
- I attended a work conference in Darwin – got to explore a new place and meet lots of new people (and try crocodile… which wasn’t bad!)
- I saw Orlando Bloom’s bits (and no, I have no idea how a photo of naked Orlando came to be saved in my photos app… none at all… I swear! I know it’s naughty but it’s just one…!)
- I had the best trip to Seattle, Vancouver and Honolulu to celebrate my 40th (and I’m already planning a return to Seattle… I LOVED it! Didn’t get to spend much time there)
- We drank Veuve Clicquot at work on Melbourne Cup Day (seriously, who gets to drink Veuve at work!)
- I got some awesome photos of the Supermoon thanks to a photography tour I did on my trip
- My Mum had her brother visit – and her other siblings came over and all had a chance to catch up – they’re all 70+ now and living all over the place so it was nice to see them all in one place for a change (and this is what held me up on writing for one of those missed weekends… but it was probably worth it)
So now, I’m looking to finish up at work for the year in the next week or so and I’m heading off for some (minor, hopefully!) surgery. I’m hoping that some down time (I’m not going to be able to walk far) will mean a bit more time to write and I’ll get an opportunity to decompress from the work I love but which also drives me mental.
Maybe the end of #2016 will see me think of some resolutions for #2017?
What about you? Are you already planning your #2017 resolutions? What are they? Share with me on Twitter @wordsbykc?